Friday, January 5, 2007

$29.50

I was able to give Steve an assortment of thrifted things for a Christmas gift. As promised, here are some of the treasures I found in Portland.

$4.99:
This toy printing press has so much promise - all of its little pieces seem to be accounted for; even the original bottle of ink and operating manual have survived its many years. When a weekend afternoon affords the time to play with this, we'll hopefully print something and I will post it here.


$19.95:
Earlier this year, I inherited this exact camera from my grandpa. When I was gone from Florida over the holidays, Steve told me he had been using it, a lot, and consequently had fallen in love with the camera. Not that we don't share (hah!), but when I saw a mint-ish Canon AE-1 for $20, I had to buy it for him. Now we have his-n-hers Canons...


$4.50:
In general, the merchandise at Portland thrift stores is more costly than it is in South Florida. Books were outrageously expensive in Portland! I guess I understand this by knowing the book culture in Portland, but I don't understand why men's T-shirts were $4.99! My mom found this one and insisted I buy it for Steve. I am glad I did. And I am glad she has white hair: I got the senior discount, so it turned out to be $4.50. It's brand-spanking-new. And, we love Michelle Shocked's song, Anchorage. So it was kind of perfect.


He loved everything!

3 comments:

LittlePea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LittlePea said...

I wish my husband appreciated the joy that is to thrift....very jealous of those cameo earrings too.

Lauren said...

I love the his-n-hers camera! Too cute for words!